2nd Asia Pacific Saxophone Composition Competition
Helga Arias (Milk Spilt on a Stone)
Ywei Chern Goi (Saxophone Quartet)
Kah Hong Bernard Lee (Though Nothing Can Bring Back The Hour)
Jamie Sampson (Transnoesis)
Emil Snabb (Grief in Progress)
Waris Sukontapatipark (Auroras)
Congratulations to the 6 finalists! The final round will held on 26th July 2018 during the Asia Pacific Saxophone Academy. Live performances will be given by the Amigo Saxophone Quartet, and result will be announced during student concert on 28th July 2018.
The Asia Pacific Saxophone Academy launches the ‘2nd Asia Pacific Saxophone Composition Competition’ to encourage composers to write quality works for the saxophone.
The winning work will be performed by members of the Amigo Saxophone Quartet as one of the featuring program of their Asian Tour 2018.
There is only one category for the competition:
A work for saxophone quartet (soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone).
Duration of the work: 5-10 minutes
Dr. Ming-Chi Chan (Xinghai Conservatory of Music, China) (President of Jury)
Dr. Emily Koh (University of Georgia, U.S.A.)
Dr. Chi-Hin Leung (The Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong)
Prof. Siraseth Pantura-umporn (Bansomdejchaopraya Rajabhat University, Thailand)
Leslie Wong (Nayang Academy of Fine Art, Singapore)
Dr. Tak Chiu Wong (Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, Hong Kong)
- 15000 Bahts
- Trophy and Certificate
- The winning composition will be performed and featured by
the members of the Amigo Saxophone Quartet during their 10th Anniversary Asia Tour in 2018.
- 10000 Bahts
- 5000 Bahts
Timeline and Deadline
2 rounds will be included:
First round and Final round (6)
6 Finalists will be chosen by juries
The deadline of submission is 15th April 2018.
Result of finalist will be announced by 15th June 2018.
Compositions of finalist will be performed by the Amigo Saxophone Quartet during the Asia Pacific Saxophone Academy (23rd – 28th July 2018)
Result of final round will be announced and awarded on 28th July 2018 during the closing gala concert.
Regulations and Submission Method
1. The competition is open to composers of all nationalities and ages.
2. The submitted composition may have been performed, but have not been awarded a prize from other competitions.
3. The composition must be unpublished.
4. The composition must be submitted in the form of PDF via the online application form, with recordings or midi.
5. Anonymous submission is required.
6. Please include the TITLE of the composition ONLY on the attachment and include both the title and the composer’s name in the application form.
7. The score must NOT show the name of the composer anywhere.
8. Please note that the jury will refer to the works by title only.
9. Incomplete submissions will be disqualified.
10. Each composer can only submit ONE composition. Multiple applications will be disqualified.
11. Finalist are encouraged to come join the Asia Pacific Saxophone Academy, for workshops and awards presentation.
12. The winners will be announced on the website of Asia Pacific Saxophone Academy on www.apsa-sax.com on 1st June 2018.
13. The judges reserve the right to award citations and honorable mentions as warranted, and to combine categories when necessary. The decision of the judges is final.
College of Music, Bansomdejchaopraya Rajabhat University (Thailand); and
International Education College, Xinghai Conservatory of Music (China)
For inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact Ms Danielle Ong the addressed email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can visit our website at www.apsa-sax.com.